Sunday, November 25, 2012

Elimination Diet

Last week I checked out the book "Is This Your Child?" by Dr. Doris Rapp from my local library. 
 I immediately recognized C in it's pages, particularly the red cheeks, under eye circles and red ears.  


More fit than her looks only.  I have a history of asthma and hay fever, lactose intolerance and sensitivity to gluten.  

C was hyperactive and hiccuppy in utero. She was colicky as a baby.  She has never, not once in her life, slept through the night.  She still needs to wear a diaper at night.

She had a persistent case of eczema as a toddler that only went away when we removed milk from both of our diets since we were still nursing.  I allowed her to consume milk products again starting about 18 months ago, and the eczema didn't return so I had been operating under the assumption that she had outgrown her problems with dairy.

However, in the past few months, C has had a double ear infection, a sinus infection and constant allergic rhinitis with a nagging cough caused by postnasal drip.  At her doctor's recommendation, I cut back on her dairy consumption, which has cut back on her congestion enough to prevent further secondary infections but not eliminated the runny nose or cough.  

Now after reading this book, I wonder if there are any other food-related culprits behind her appearance and behavior.

So, to learn more, we as a family are embarking on the Multiple Food Elimination Diet as described in Dr. Rapp's book, starting tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget