Five R's of Correctly Hearing God
- RESOLVE to listen for God's voice. Listen to the Holy Spirit. Don't be casual about it, but consciously focus your attention to discern if the message you have carries the weight of God or is more like the unsure/unsteady voice of your own mind/heart/conscience.
- RESTATE what you hear through prayer. Tell God what you thought you heard. If it continually comes to mind, give it back to God each time rather than ruminating or fretting over it.
- RESEARCH the Scriptures to identify any contradictions with God's revealed character and Word.
- RECHECK the message with mature Christian friend/s with wisdom and discernment.
- REQUEST that God provide clear confirmation.
God desires you to know His will. He's not hiding it from you. When we ask for confirmation, He will give it through any or all of the following: through His Word, through circumstances, and through other people.