Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Elimination Diet - What we're eating

We've made it through the first 24 hours or so of our elimination diet.  I thought perhaps some might be curious about what we've been eating, so I'm sharing it here.

Over the weekend I downloaded sample allergy free menu planners from Heart of Cooking and used that as a starting point and guide for my shopping and cooking this week.

BREAKFAST
To prepare, I made ahead some turkey patties and granola for breakfast.  I improvised the granola recipe so don't have exact amounts, but the ingredients were:

  • gluten free oats
  • honey
  • coconut oil
  • chopped dried dates
  • chopped cashew pieces


I mixed it and then baked it for a while on very low heat and then let it sit out for a few days (unintentionally -- we were originally going to start the diet on Friday).  DH and C ate it like cereal with almond milk for breakfast yesterday and today, and also had a few turkey patties.

This morning C and DH ate the last of the granola, but I mixed up something very similar only I microwaved it with almond milk to make a quick oatmeal.  Yesterday I had cream of rice with bananas and pecans and a turkey patty, plus C's leftover granola.

LUNCH
As part of my make ahead prep, I also baked up a bunch of chicken breasts seasoned with garlic powder so they'd be convenient to use for lunches and dinners.

For lunch the past two days, I packed DH a big spinach salad with chopped bits of bell pepper, celery, red onion, sun dried tomatoes, almonds and pieces of the baked chicken.  I made him a honey mustard dressing with approximately one part honey, two parts mustard and one part grapeseed oil.

My lunch yesterday was pieces of baked chicken on a rice cake spread with ground sesame seeds (tahini) and a pear.  Yesterday afternoon I baked up a dozen chicken legs with grapeseed oil, salt and pepper.  My lunch today was two of the chicken legs.  For sides I had slices of pear on a tahini-covered rice cake, and most of a can of green beans.

C's lunch yesterday was a variety of things:

  • bits of baked chicken
  • slices of carrot, apple and bell pepper 
  • half a banana
  • Trader Joe's Crunchy Green Beans
  • rice cake with tahini (she requested that I not repeat this)


Last night I made this sandwich bread from the Spunky Coconut's recipe (subbing extra apple cider vinegar and baking soda for the baking powder), so I sent one of those in C's lunch today, leaving off the tahini.

SNACKS
C and I snacked on bananas, apples, cashews and raisins in the afternoon.  DH snacked on carrot sticks and apple slices that I sent with him to work.

DINNER
Dinner last night was Zucchini Noodle Chicken Soup from Heart of Cooking's recipe.  I reduced the amount of broth called for in the recipe because DH prefers a heartier soup, and used only one zucchini because that is what I had on hand.  We ate it all with no leftovers.

For dinner tonight, I'm planning to make something with asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, rice and shrimp or fish.

ANY RESULTS?
C had an oops yesterday when she couldn't resist a cracker the other kids were having for snack at school.  I haven't noticed any changes in her behavior or appearance yet.

The only noticeable result thus far has been in baby Z.  He hasn't spit up since yesterday morning, when he's normally a fairly frequent spitter, and he's drooling much less.

I'm curious to see what more results we may see as the week progresses....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will publish and reply to them as soon as I am able in the midst of a busy mom schedule! Abusive, trolling or spam comments will not be published.