Friday, February 6, 2015

Heart Failure to Transplant: Timing and Provision

The following was posted to my CaringBridge on Feb 6, 2015:

Family, friends and community contacts have continued to generously meet our financial needs in various ways, often just before an a unanticipated expense has come up!

Adam had been wanting to sell his old car, but was putting it off until he could do some prep work on it. Early last week he felt an urgency to get it listed as is, and quickly found a buyer and officially sold it Thursday night just before we decided to relocate.

My MOPS group had arranged for a photo quilt to be made for me by Garden Of Hope Quilt ministry so i could snuggle with pictures of my family in the hospital. They called to say it was complete just after I got the call from Cedars-Sinai about the potential match. The two ladies who came to deliver it that night said they had been feeling a sense of urgency to complete it and get it to me quickly.

The call on Thursday spurred us to relocate before the surgery and allowed us to pack up what we need in a relatively unhurried manner. Each day that passes here without THE call is another day to accustom everyone to the new situation before I am in the hospital recovering from the transplant surgery.

When we met with the staff at Cedars-Sinai's transplant program in December, the social worker there suggested that I would be eligible for disability through Social Security if I had earned enough credits while I had been working. I applied when I got out of the hospital in January.

Last week I received a call saying they were expediting my claim due to the seriousness of my condition.

This morning I got another call. My claim has been approved, I have been found disabled and soon will receive back payments from October 2014 on, which will continue for one year after transplant!

This will certainly help cover expenses and allow Adam to have more flexibility as to when he returns to work after my transplant.

Tomorrow there is a family reunion at my parents' home. While I'd love to see everyone, I am at peace with God's providence, knowing THE call could come any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will publish and reply to them as soon as I am able in the midst of a busy mom schedule! Abusive, trolling or spam comments will not be published.