Monday, September 23, 2019

Inspired by Dear Evan Hansen

Dear Evan Hansen is a recent musical with a focus on mental health.  A song from early in the first act, Waving Through a Window, captures the inner dialogue that accompanies social anxiety, withdrawal and avoidance.

The song begins:
I've learned to slam on the brake
Before I even turn the key
Before I make the mistake
Before I lead with the worst of me
Head to Genius.com read the full lyrics or YouTube.com to watch Ben Platt perform it at the 2017 Tonys.

Lately, I've wondered if there was a way to rewrite the song to reflect a journey toward healing. I've only been able to come up with the first stanza though. Something like this:

No need to slam on the brake
I'll take a risk to turn the key
Maybe I'll make a mistake
I can breathe, try again and just be me

Granted, that's pretty cheesy and not as catchy as the original.

But I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will publish and reply to them as soon as I am able in the midst of a busy mom schedule! Abusive, trolling or spam comments will not be published.