Saturday, July 18, 2009

Breathing and Eating with God

Did you know that God still speaks? It doesn't take special quaifications to hear from Him. Just a quiet moment so the still small voice can come through.

How do you know if it is God speaking or just your own crazy thoughts?

I once had an insight that I shared at a women's Bible study led by my good friend Bridgette (love you!):

I know what my own thoughts and way of talking to and about myself sounds and feels like. It's familiar to me. God's voice is different, refreshing. The guest speaker at my church last Sunday put it very succinctly:

God is much kinder to us than we are to ourselves!


Here's something I wrote down in my prayer journal once when I was practicing active listening with God. I started off by saying something like, "Speak, Lord for your servant is listening."

Here is what I heard back:

I am God. Be still and know that I am God. It’s my righteousness that flows through you.

Consider that air, water, food, are all your physical body needs to live.

Life with me is like breathing. Your body does that without you even thinking about it. So too am I beside you without you thinking about it. No striving. Just turn and talk to me, smile at me, cry with me.

I long to take you into my arms and care for you. Hear my call to you. Open your eyes and see me. Open your ear.

Eat my word, don’t fast from it. You get hungry three times a day, and even snack. So too can you feast on me. Eat and you shall be filled. Open yourself. I am the bread of life.

You need me to live. Apart from me, you can do nothing.

I love you. More than you can understand, I long for you just as you long to be with the ones you love now. Tell me about it. Talk to me.

I am here. I am God. I choose you.

Now is the time for you to listen, to learn, to teach, to reach out. Don’t waste the time! I don’t want anyone to be left behind. I love them too.

Receive my forgiveness. Don’t be so stubborn. Open yourself to me. I know you even when you hide, so why not open yourself so you can know Me also?



God is there. Like it says in Revelations, Jesus is standing at the door of your heart and knocking. That verse was written to believers. How awesome a privelege is it that we can have such intimacy with the Triune God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will publish and reply to them as soon as I am able in the midst of a busy mom schedule! Abusive, trolling or spam comments will not be published.