Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Fasting: I Don't Get It

I've never understood the appeal of fasting.

And yet, a few weeks ago I felt a call to do a partial fast, one day a week. I've done it three times now, and you know, I still don't get it.

I can't say I feel much different.

Okay, so maybe I have a greater awareness that some things I thought were needs were really just indulgences. For example, I may think I NEED to have a bowl of ice cream, but really, a banana hits that same sweet tooth in a much more healthful way. I've experienced the truth in the statement that a life without boundaries has less joy; I've never enjoyed an orange so much, or gotten so much satisfaction out of a simple bowl of cereal.

And maybe exercising some self-control muscles helped me get to the point where I could consider putting Pookaloo and myself on an elimination diet to track down whether food sensitivities are at the root of her eczema.

So, I guess it would be fair to say that the benefits of fasting for me have been increased contentment and gratitude and a greater willingness/ability to deny myself for the sake of another.

Or, maybe as a wise man I know said the other day in a Bible study while we were discussing the practice of fasting, the point of fasting is that there really is no benefit to us, it's just an act of sacrifice to demonstrate love for a God who loves us so much, like the woman pouring out her perfume on the Savior's feet.

Hmmm ... maybe I am starting to get it after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will publish and reply to them as soon as I am able in the midst of a busy mom schedule! Abusive, trolling or spam comments will not be published.