Sunday, June 20, 2010

Abba

This Father's Day, the message at church focused on how men can be good fathers because God is such an awesome father to us.

The pastor told this story to illustrate.

He saw a father and young son together on a flight to Israel. The son was playing in the aisle when some turbulence struck.

"Abba! Abba! Abba!" the child cried and ran as fast as he could back to his father's safe, waiting arms. Abba is Hebrew for Daddy or Papa.

That intimacy, that child-like faith is what Paul means when he says we have a Spirit of sonship that allows us to cry, "Abba, Father."

It got me thinking of all the different intonations a child can use when saying "Daddy!"

Joy - rejoice with me Daddy!
Fear - protect me Daddy!
Curiosity - teach me Daddy!
Confusion - which way, Daddy?
Awe - you're amazing Daddy!
Relief - there you are Daddy!

What a privelege we are given to call God our Abba Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will publish and reply to them as soon as I am able in the midst of a busy mom schedule! Abusive, trolling or spam comments will not be published.