Friday, June 25, 2010

Discipline of Rest

There was a time in my life when God's law seemed burdensome, condemning and impossible. Lately though I've been seeing it as good, as God's instructions for our best life.

Along the way, I've been learning about Biblical holidays and feasts. How beautiful it is that they point to Christ! (This website is a good overview). I'm interested in doing something this year to mark them -- to join in divine history and celebrate God's creative and saving action in the past, present and future.

The next major feast is the Feast of Trumpets (September 8 this year).

But I don't have to wait until then to start celebrating one of God's days.

Every week, there is an opportunity to keep the fourth commandment to remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

But what would that look like?

I don't want to get caught up in a bunch of rabbinical laws or other forms of legalism.

I like this list of 10 simple principles over at The Sabbath Manifesto. I like the idea of a "Family Fun Day" where we relax and reconnect together and make a point to talk about and enjoy God and his creation.

Tonight I think I'll light some candles around 7:45. Maybe we'll go to a park or the beach as a family tomorrow. Keep the TV and computer off. Visit family. Enjoy a quiet day of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will publish and reply to them as soon as I am able in the midst of a busy mom schedule! Abusive, trolling or spam comments will not be published.