Friday, October 10, 2014

Heart Failure to Transplant: Good Days and Bad Days

The following was published on my CaringBridge journal on Oct 10, 2014

I ordered a free book from the Pulmonary Hypertension Association called "Someone I Love has PH" to help me explain to Charlotte a little of what is going on with me.


The book talks about good PH days and bad PH days, and that there is not always a good explanation for why one day has more symptoms than another.


Yesterday was a pretty bad day in terms of my shortness of breath and energy level. Today is a pretty good day.


My brain wants to know the reason. I want to make a magic formula out of whatever I did yesterday that made today a good day or whatever I did the day before yesterday that made yesterday such a bad day.


I do know that in general the less sodium that I eat, the better I feel the next day. I do think i can see a trend that eating so-called "inflammatory" foods, or really any processed foods, leads to more bad days, and days when I eat more whole foods in as close to their natural state as possible and minimize or eliminate my intake of grains, are days when I generally feel better. I have learned that taking Lasix helps with shortness of breath even on days when the scale says I haven't gained any weight.


I want to make choices that support my body as it copes with a heart that beats inefficiently, and pulmonary blood vessels that are a bit too narrow . It's not really anything mind blowing, just the same basic stuff anyone can do to stay healthy. Walking a few miles a few times per week, eating more whole fresh food. It just has such a greater urgency now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will publish and reply to them as soon as I am able in the midst of a busy mom schedule! Abusive, trolling or spam comments will not be published.