Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Heart Failure to Transplant: Test Results

The following was published on my CaringBridge journal on Oct 14, 2014:

Bottom line:  I need a heart transplant sooner than later to save my life. 

My VO2 max before I had to stop the test due to dizziness was 9, which is 31% of what would be expected for someone my age, and the ratio between the amount of breaths I took per minute and the amount of carbon dioxide exhaled (VE/VCO2 slope) was 46.  For reference, someone with a VO2 max below 12, or below 50% of age expected performance, and/or VE/VCO2 slope greater than 35 have shown in studies to have 66-75% risk of death within one year.

My cardiologist recommended that based on my O positive blood type that I begin the workup process right away to determine if the functions of my other organs and immune system will allow for a heart transplant.  The workup process involves lots of blood work, meetings with a social worker and psychologist, and a test called a right heart catheterization to measure the blood pressure in my lungs.  I likely have to be hospitalized for about a week after that test because they are going to attempt to lower the blood pressure in my lungs by trying different combinations and levels of IV medication.  If they find something that works, then I'll be on IV medication until an matching heart is identified.


The cardiologist said if I'm on IV medication that puts me in a higher priority class on the transplant list, and it's realistic for a matching heart to become available within the year. 


The recovery process will be quite long.... 6-8 weeks before I can drive or lift more than 5 pounds, 3-6 months before I can resume my mothering duties at the level I'm at now, 6 months to a year before I am up to my new improved full capacity.  It will involve moving temporarily to within 20 minutes of whatever hospital does the transplant for the first month of recovery. 


It's a lot to take in.  I really don't like the idea of being cut open or having to hope that someone dies so I can have their heart; on the other hand, I want to be around for my kids and Adam as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will publish and reply to them as soon as I am able in the midst of a busy mom schedule! Abusive, trolling or spam comments will not be published.