Thursday, October 16, 2014

Heart Failure to Transplant: Against All Odds

The following was published to my CaringBridge journal on Oct 16, 2014:

On Tuesday I shared a scary statistic that people with cardiopulmonary fitness numbers as poor as mine have a 66-75% chance of dying within 12 months.

In the hours and days since then, I've done some reflecting and come to the following conclusion:

That is a statistic, not a sure outcome.

I am not a statistic.

I am God's precious daughter and he determines the length of my life. He sustains me and gives me breath.

Statistics are helpful to guide my treatment.  It's good to know there is a high risk so I can pursue a transplant.

Statistics are helpful, but they don't determine my fate.

In the studies they used to determine those statistics, a certain percentage of individuals with numbers as bad or worse than mine died. 

BUT... THE REST OF THEM LIVED!!!

Only God knows how long I might live without a transplant.

My heart is His.  My life is in His hands.




That same day I also wrote: 

ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVE!
  • No asthma
  • Good cholesterol
  • Kaiser coverage
  • Right cardiology team
  • Incredible support and love from my church, friends, family
  • Can still sing, draw, craft, sew, play piano and write
  • Nursed Elliott for six months, will make it to seven at least before I might have to wean

Despite these momentary afflictions, future bright no matter what... New lease on life with new heart or new body in heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will publish and reply to them as soon as I am able in the midst of a busy mom schedule! Abusive, trolling or spam comments will not be published.