Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Heart Failure to Transplant: The Workup Begins

The following was published to my CaringBridge journal on Oct 16, 2014:

Monday I started the workup process to see if I'm qualified for a transplant in terms of the health of the rest of my body and my immune system.

They took 12 vials of blood on Monday, and another 12 on Wednesday, plus a urine sample.

Oddly, though I expected to feel drained, weak and possibly faint after giving up that much blood, on both days I felt BETTER afterwards.

Some of the test results have already come back (they are released via automatic process to my health profile on Kaiser Permanente's website).

Most of them provide a standard range for comparison along with the result, and for almost all of those I tested within normal limits.

Dr. Weisshaar said on Monday that some people with cardiopulmonary fitness numbers as poor as mine would be bedridden, but I'm doing remarkably well. She compared my heart to an engine, and the rest of my body to a chassis. She said the reason that I'm doing as well as I am, is because my chassis is in such good shape. That bodes well for my prospects of a successful transplant.

There were three results outside of normal limits, and a few that have no interpretation guide.

The first result outside of normal limits was BNP (a protein that indicates the heart is under stress or in heart failure... to be expected really). The other two outside normal limits were protein and a byproduct of white blood cells in my urine. I did some research and this could suggest that something is going on with my kidneys.

I will wait a few days until all the results are in and then contact Dr. Weisshaar to discuss them if she hasn't contacted me already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will publish and reply to them as soon as I am able in the midst of a busy mom schedule! Abusive, trolling or spam comments will not be published.