Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Heart Failure to Transplant: Lifestyle Choices

The following was posted to my CaringBridge journal on Oct. 8, 2014

My heart condition doesn't have to be life-threatening if I maintain appropriate lifestyle changes.

Aside from a low sodium diet and walking regularly, the most important thing for me was to slow down my pace and learn to ask for help so that I don't overdo it and strain my heart or increase blood pressure in my lungs. 

To that end, I've made the following changes:
  1. Resigned my role with MOPS leadership.
  2. Paying per meeting for MOPS so I can attend only when I feel up to it.
  3. Asking for help with my role as a La Leche League leader.
  4. Having my husband take my daughter to school in the mornings.
  5. Having a friend bring my daughter home from school two days a week.
  6. Making freezer meals.
  7. Making arrangements for a mother's helper most afternoons and help with heavy housework one morning per week.
  8. Limiting my mornings out of the house (Bible study, MOPS, LLL).  This has been the toughest so far.  I really enjoy the social and intellectual stimulation of those meetings and in general the meetings themselves don't take too much out of me.  The problem comes with getting the kids in and out of the car, carrying or pushing the kids to their child care, and then when we get home trying to squeeze all my normal tasks into a shorter day.  My gut tells me I need to limit it to one meeting per week.  But then MOPS and LLL always meet the same week and I really don't want to choose between them... Maybe MOPS 1st Thursdays and LLL only 3rd Fridays?  And Bible study has been so good this semester...  So hard to pick between good choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will publish and reply to them as soon as I am able in the midst of a busy mom schedule! Abusive, trolling or spam comments will not be published.