Sunday, March 28, 2010

Simplicity

Our 700SF 1BR/1BA condo is listed for sale. It goes up on the MLS tomorrow, and our agents are coming by to take pictures. Although prices are still depressed compared to the 2006 inflated levels, there is buying activity going on, and we're expecting a lot of showings.

All that to say that we've been working hard for the past 10 days or so on "staging" our place for sale. Besides rearranging and removing some furniture, the primary activities of staging have been extreme decluttering.

We rented a 5'x10' storage unit to keep all the stuff until we're ready for it again.

Rather than a feeling of sacrifice, I've been surprised to find the functioning of our day to day lives has not been significantly different without the items in storage. In fact, I love the way our house feels without them. If it is so extraneous, it makes me wonder why I've been holding on to it? Why did I live in such a cramped way just for the sake of hoarding things I might need someday when we might live in larger quarters?


DSC03559
Originally uploaded by Sierdsmama
Our bedroom is the first room to be absolutely finished. I love to be in there. It feels cool, relaxing and spacious.


I'm very encouraged to continue allowing the Holy Spirit to build the discipline of simplicity into our lives. When we finally get our stuff out of storage and have the ability to go through it and make decisions about what we need, what we like and what can go, I hope I can remember what it was like to be in my pristine bedroom and make wiser choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will publish and reply to them as soon as I am able in the midst of a busy mom schedule! Abusive, trolling or spam comments will not be published.