Monday, February 23, 2015

Heart Transplant to Recovery: Second Day

The following was posted to my CaringBridge journal on Feb 23, 2015:

Watched part of the Oscars last night, but fell asleep part way through. Woke up just long enough to hear who won best picture. Slept fitfully in the chair all night. It's much more comfortable to be in the chair up right then reclining because of the chest tubes.

A few minutes ago, they turned off the dobutamine which was supporting my heart function, so right now my heart is beating on its own. If the heart rate (above 90 BPM) and cardiac index (high 2s to low 3s) both stay within normal levels without the dobutamine they will remove the Swan catheter from my neck and help me walk around.

My white blood cell count was slightly elevated on my early morning labs, so they are running cultures from my blood and urine to see what the source might be. There's a chance is just inflammation from the steroids or surgery itself but if it is an infection they will want to nip it in the bud. My temperature is mostly normal 98-99.

I'm very hungry and thirsty. My whole thorax aches.

Dr. Ramzy the transplant surgeon stopped by to talk to me just now. He said he's very pleased with my progress and tell me my heart that I received is very young between 25 and 31 years old that's all the information he could give me right now without me submitting an information request to the transplant coordinators.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and will publish and reply to them as soon as I am able in the midst of a busy mom schedule! Abusive, trolling or spam comments will not be published.